Misty Ruffing is an experienced advocate and organizer with a proven track record of helping organizations achieve their goals. Her experience includes developing coalitions, coordinating community engagement, leading public outreach, and managing non-profit organizational operations. Misty has successfully worked with a wide variety of civic, governmental and business leaders throughout her career. She is a former small business owner who understands the importance of delivering value to clients and the challenges of entrepreneurship.
- B.S. in Chemistry, College of William & Mary, 2002
- Koch Associate Program, Class of 2020
- William C. Friday Fellowship for Human Relations, 2017-19
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation Non-Profit Leadership Fellowship, 2015
- E.A. Morris Fellowship for Emerging Leaders, 2014
- Inaugural Chair, League of Minority Voters NC (Nov 2020-2022)
- Board of Advisors, Listen First Project (2017-present)
- Trustee, North Carolina Humanities Council (appointed by the Governor; Oct 2014 –2019)
- Media Director, Stephen Siller Foundation Tunnel to Towers 5K-Raleigh (2014-present)
- Human Relations Commissioner, City of Durham (Oct 2013 –July 2014)
- Treasurer/Board Member, Holt Athletic Association (March 2010 –August 2012)
- President, Port Warwick Merchant Association (Sept 2008 –June 2009)
- Vice-President, Port Warwick Merchant Association (Jan 2007 –Sept 2008)
- Secretary, Port Warwick Merchant Association (Jan 2006 –Dec 2007)
- Director, Port Warwick Art Foundation (Sep 2007 –June 2009)
- Secretary/Board Member, Hampton Roads Country Day School Board of Trustees (Aug 2006 –June 2008)
- Structure and properties of some cresolphthalein derivatives, William E. Brenzovich, Jr., Misty D. Odell, Joana P. Soares and Christopher J. Abelt, Dyes and Pigments, 59, 251-261, 2003.
- Top 10 Women Under 30, Daily Press, November 2006
Sailing, charcuterie, holiday decorating.
My favorite book is the prize from my Kindergarten spelling bee: Stand Back Said the Elephant I’m Going to Sneeze.